From:
Mail-Order BeautyQueen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 18:06:15 -0400

There were so many requests for this recipe I thought I would just post
it.  It really is yummy.

I use (I admit it, I am lazy) Gluten-Free Pantry's Perfect Pie Crust mix,
simple and easy as it is.  That calls for:
1/2 bag Pie Crust Mix (1&1/2 cups)
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. sugar (optional)
5 Tbs. cold, unsalted butter in small pieces
5 Tbs. butter-flavoured vegetable shortening, in small pieces
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbs. cold water
2 tsp. cider vinegar

(follow instructions on bag)
Instead of butter and shortening, I just use 10 Tbs. really cold Shedd's
Willow Run Soybean Margarine as I am allergic to dairy.  I also have used
egg replacer before and it worked.
Since I like crust, I used the entire recipe for just the bottom crust,
there is not crust top, though I would like to make a crumble topping for
it someday.  If anyone has a recipe for that, I would like it.

Here is the recipe for the filler, as my friend Carolyn relayed it to me
(I don't know its official origin):

6 cups fresh strawberries
1cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch (Argo is gf!)
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
2 Tbs fresh sqeezed lemon
2 tsp butter

Okay.  First you take 4 cups of the strawberries and make them bite-sized
(or keep them whole if you wish you asphixiate your loved-ones)
after taking out the stems and leaves.  Set them aside (the fruit, not
the stems.  Throw the stems away or compost, please). Take the other
two cups of berries, get rid of stems and leaves, and puree them (I didn't
puree them, I smooshed them with a big fork).  Set these aside too.

Then, in a saucepan, mix up the sugar, salt, cornstarch, and water over
low heat.  Let them get kind of warm.  Then stir in the pureed or smooshed
berries.  Let them get warm and add lemon juice and butter (once again the
soy margarine was a success).  Simmer this mix on med. high for 1 minute,
stirring like a crazy person the whole time (you'll see why).

Take the crust you've previously prepared, and put 1/2 the whole berries
in the crust.  Add half the pureed mixture.  Toss in the other half of
whole berries.  Pour in remaining pureed mixture.  If you let this mixture
get cold it will be just like the filler in McDonald's Cherry pies, which
is not good for pouring, and looks gross.

The End.  Okay?  As you can see I am not a professional
recipe sharer, so excuse my un-official cheffing language.

OH!!  Don't forget that you have to chill for 4 hours (the pie, not you -
though you could probably chill too).  I sprinkled some blackberries over
the top just to be a rebel.  They say serve it with whipped cream, but I
personally have never tasted whipped cream, so I didn't put it on.

 Joanna F. Schroeder
Creator, College Kids' Chronic Pain Resource: support for students living
with Chronic Pain Disorders and other life-long ailments.
Please See  http://www.delphi.com/collegepain