Date:
Sat, 23 May 1998 13:46:58 +0200

Dear Listmembers,
only now have I made it, but we all have other things to do as well.
Again I would like to mention how greatly all the replies have improved
my mood. Thank you all very much!
To work now.

1) How bad/good are chances that the newborn too will suffer from cd?
        The chances range from 5% to 15%, depending on the familiar/genetic
background. CD does not follow the classical rules of Inheritage by
Gregor Mendel, so everything is possible, all combinations can come true
(CD-Parents+Healthy/non-cd kids, healthy p + cd-kids, some cd-kids-some
healthy ones).

2) There is nothing one can do to prevent the development of CD during
pregnancy, no matter what kind of food you have, you canīt change the
odds. If you know there is a genetic predisposition and you can feel the
unborn reacts strange to the intake of gluten (extrem movement, etc) you
might want to consider a change in your diet. If the pregnant mother
herself suffers from CD she should stictly follow the gf-diet since
anything else would lead to a malabsorption of nutrition; bad for
herself and -even worse- leads to insufficient nurturing of the embryo.

3) Obviously gluten can pass into the mothermilk. Many other substances
(coffein, alcohol, drugs, lactose, garlic, and so on) do too as we all
know, that is why pregnant women should be living a healthy life anyways
(no news here).
Check out this homepage: <http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/reichelt.html>
After baby is born a nursing mother should watch her baby for strange
symptoms (skin rashes, excessive activity, tommy cramps, aso) and then
avoid lactic and glutenic food. Consult a doctor of course, but
sometimes they donīt have a clue!
Even if nursing does pass gluten to the child, nothing can possibly
replace it. IN case, the nursing mamma should go on a gf-diet.
Normally CD develops around 1,5 to 2 years, breastfeeding is the best
you can do to your child, for/against all kinds of allergies; at least
6-8 months exclusively, after that add other foods (and that brings us
straight to the next point).

4) Even if the child is not diagnosed CD, it is not a bad idea to keep
it on a gf-diet the first 1 or 2 years. Not only for CD-People is gluten
a bad thing, in general it is of dubious value to us in these early
stages. Very often it is recommended to not feed wheat/gluten that early
since it is a highly allergenic substance even for non-CD kids. So is
Lactose.
A gf-diet is a perfectly healthy one, you will not have to suffer.

5) Obviously some mothers only found out about their CD during the
process of having a child (CD or non CD-Child). Even if asymptomatic,
the slightest suspicion of CD should have you go and see a doctor.

6) CD oftenly relates to other illnesses, a gf-diet during the first
years for genetically predisposed people might eliminate/reduce the
development of corelated illness.

This is a summary only, please be careful and draw your own conclusion.
Thanks again to everyone who contributed to it, hope I didnīt forget too
much.
Chris Markl
Berlin, Germany