From:
Howard Kass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 00:49:18 -0500

Reply to message from [log in to unmask] of Sat, 09 Dec

>For those of you who are seeking to avoid all milk and milk products,
>however, the label "pareve" may make your label reading quicker.
>Under the dietary laws of koshruth, you may not eat milk with meat (or
>vice versa).  The term "pareve" indicates a food that can be eaten
>with either such as eggs, tomato sauce (no cheese or meat), margarine
>(that does not contain any milk), etc.  I would still recommend
>reading the label because I am not certain where casein would fall.  I
>would think that a "pareve" item could not contain any milk at all
>including casein which is a milk protein but I don't keep kosher.

Another way for those who are lactose intolerant to identify products that
DO contain lactose is to look for a capital "D" on the label, next to a
capital "U" with a circle around it (generally referred to as the "OU"
symbol).  The OU symbol stands for "The Union of Orthodox Rabbis" and
indicates that the product is kosher.  The "D" next to the OU symbol
indicates that the product contains dairy, including casein.

As an example, I have a can of Bumblebee Solid White Tuna in Water with the
Dairy indicator.  The ONLY dairy ingredient in this can of tuna is casein.

Hope this helps.

Cindy

--
Howard J. Kass, CPA                        [log in to unmask]
Cindy Koller-Kass                          Voice: (216)831-4141