Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:13:20 -0600

Thought  I would post a quick summary of the responses I received about Ezekiel bread.  My main question was how can a product that has wheat in it, not affect someone with a wheat allergy.  I did have some say that if it is just  wheat allergy, the wheat is broken down enough not cause problems .  However those of us with celiac disease, this bread is still off limits.
The following were sent to me by others  on the list:
    Unfortunately Ezekiel sprouted bread is NOT gluten free.  I looked into this
a while back.

      Q:  Are Food For Life Sprouted Breads "Gluten-Free"?
      A:  Any product that contains wheat (including semolina, durum, spelt,
triticale, and kamut) rye, barley, or oats cannot be considered Gluten-Free.
What is important is the sprouting process, through enzymatic activity,
changes gluten to a more digestible or tolerable state. Many individuals
with mild gluten sensitivities use sprouted products with no adverse side
affects or allergic reactions. However each person's individual constitution
is different. We advise any person with gluten sensitivities including and
in particular individuals with serious health conditions such as Celiac
Disease to consult their physician before consuming any product that may
contain gluten.

http://www.food-for-life.com/faq.asp

I have some familiarity with the concept of "sprouted" grains and stored sugars and starch conversion.  In brief, plants store sugars in starch form for efficiency. In the sprouting or malting process, grain is wetted and starch converts to sugar (fructose, glucose, maltose) which changes texture and flavor. None of this affects gluten (gliadin), the protein (or sub molecule) which offends the Celiac or wheat allergic individual.

That said, if one cannot eat wheat or is relatives (barley, rye, spelt and so on), Ezekiel bread is not appropriate.

The overall opinion is to stay away from this bread. Hope this helps others who were wondering about this bread.

Heidi