From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 15:50:53 -0700

I guess it's high time I posted a summary about my inquiry regarding
solving the sacrament bread at church.  I received a lot of thoughtful,
touching & even clever responses for which I am truly grateful:

~ ask them to use rice crackers, they can be broken into 4 pieces quite
easily.......We even had one person that made rice flour muffins to serve
at the Easter Morning Service breakfast, it was a real treat, instead of
having just eggs.

~ After discussing the matter with our Bishop, we decided to bring our
own sacrament in a ziplock baggie
(so it doesn't get contaminated) every week to church.  We try to use GF
bread, sometimes we use a piece of tortilla, or cereal.  In our
scriptures it says, "...it mattereth not what ye shall eat or what ye
shall drink when ye partake of the sacrament, if it so be that ye do it
with an eye single to my glory..."  We take the baggie up to the
sacrament table before church starts. My husband spent about 10 minutes
in the deacon class one sunday to explain why my daughters needed this
"special" sacrament.

~ If you're catholic, Ener-G Foods has a GF wafer you can order on the
their website, or by phone. Otherwise just use GF bread.

~ The minister at our church just blesses me when the 'bread' comes
'round and then I drink the 'wine'.

~ My hubby tucks a little piece of rice bread in his pocket on Sunday
when we have communion.  He discreetly puts that in his mouth instead of
the one on the communion tray.  Perhaps your church does communion
differently, but his works for him.  God bless you!

~ I had the same experience at Church, the day after I found out and I
went on the diet, I was presented with the Bread and the Wine. But I
figured, its God's bread, it aint going to hurt me. :)

~ My daughter makes her own bread for communion at her church.

~ My daughter (celiac) asked about the communion wafer, and my response
was that God really doesn't care if you eat a piece of bread (in fact,
he's probably happier if you are healthy).  It's only a symbol, and the
important thing is the idea it represents.

~ Talk to your priest.  Get him to stop dropping a piece of the host into
the wine challis.  Then when you go up to receive communion, cross your
hands over your chest which is the universal sign for "blessing only",
then go over and just drink the wine.  Sure, folks will wonder what the
heck you are doing, but it works for us!

~  My pastor keeps wanting me to bring something to include on the trays
that are passed but
the control slips from me and the contamination is too big a risk. I have
proposed to my pastor (Presbyterian) that I come over once a quarter,
bring the elements and then do communion that way.  Just like our church
does for the shut ins.

~  My GI doc told me to continue to take communion, only to ask for the
smallest possible portion of bread.
(Members of my community bake bread for Sunday Eucharist.)  I did that
for several months with no ill effects (per a follow-up endoscopy).
Then, our new pastor, upon learning that I had CD, ordered communion
hosts that have the lowest possible amount of gluten in them.  He is very
familiar with CD, since his mother had it, as does another family member.
 That was in August or September 1998, and we've never been without those
communion hosts.  He has since found another type of host with an even
lower amount of gluten and now orders those for those of us in the
community with CD.  (According to Canon Law, the bread for Catholic
communion must be made from wheat, and therefore necessarily has gluten
in it, in order to be valid for the Sacrament.  Some dioceses do approve
the serving of low-gluten hosts.)

~Valerie in Tacoma,WA