From:
"Karen M. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 17:38:01 -0700

> I am going to leave this Saturday for 10 days of vacation. I would like
> to bring along the basic muffin mix as described in Bette Hagman's latest
> book. I am unable to find egg replacer. Does any know if this is
> necessary for the mix? Can I substitute anything for the egg replacer,
> like unflavored gelatin or xanthan gum?

Ellen:

You must not be looking very hard ;-) The egg replacer *is* necessary,
and really not substitutable in most of the recipes of Bette's that I've
worked with. Now, as far as egg replacer goes, it's made by EnerG Foods
of Seattle - if you were leaving *next* week, you could mail order it.
Howsomever, leaving this week, you'll need to pick it up (semi-)locally.
I *know* that Country Life Foods (?) in Palo Alto carries it (California
Street, east of the El Camino about a block) and that the Whole Foods
Market in Oakland (Ashby and Telegraph) carries it. Check the larger
health food stores near your house - or maybe you can arrange a delivery
from the Whole Foods Market ;-)  Actually, Whole Foods is worth a trip by
itself if you're in the area - they have a *great* deli, and have just
switched to using a GF tamari in-house (the signs were up when I was
there grabbing a quick lunch a couple weeks back while vacationing in
Oakland/Berkeley).

GF in Los Angeles

karen
[log in to unmask]   (if urgent, use [log in to unmask] - the better half)
Karen Davis of Davis and Associates (818)892-8555
           "Pain is Mother Nature's way of telling us to slow down;
                       Death is her way of INSISTING!"