From:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 11:52:22 -0500

Hi everyone,

I received 20+ responses from other list members who also have
periodontal problems ranging in age from their 20's on up.  No one had
any real concrete connection between celiac and periodontal problems,
however, most people felt that the problems were related thru the poor
absorption of vitamins and calcium from untreated/undiagnosed celiac
disease.  Our periodontist was very interested in what we had to say
and  felt that there was no doubt that celiac could be the contributing
factor in my husband's periodontal problems.

Some people had pretty good luck with gum surgery and meticulous home
care.  Others had tried brushing with hydrogen peroxide and got good
results.  Another person mentioned a new antibiotic injection treatment
at the site of the problem that they had seen on tv recently.  Some
others mentioned taking vitamin C, calcium,  Tri-Boron (which helps the
body absorb the calcium), and vitamin E (both taking it and also
breaking a gelcap open and rubbing it on the gums).  Several others
suggested the Oral B Plaque Remover which we already have and use.

As it turns out, the periodontist suggested that my husband have the new
antibiotic therapy and we are going to give it a try if the antibiotic
is GF.  Hopefully that and the GF diet and good home care will take care
of the problem.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my inquiry.  We really appreciate
your input.

Barbara in Illinois