From:
Pamela Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 22:33:19 -0400

Thank you for all the responses regarding chocolate bars and snack foods!
Here is a summary of responses:

1. No new list from Hershey. Rolo's have in the past been ok. I think
Hershey got like many companies and quit giving out any information on their
products. My husband and daughter both still eat them with no ill effects.
But of course this is up to you. Maybe one day they will again talk to the
celiac community and give us some co-operation about things that are safe
for celiacs to eat. I would hope that if it had anything in it that would be
of concern to us it would be on the label. They have said in the past that
if it was in the product it would be on the label. Hope this is still true.

2. The ingredients all seems to be GF to me but you cannot always go by the
listed ingredients since they are not required to list secondary
ingredients. For instance, MSG, tomato paste and puree, etc., are all likely
to have gluten in them, but if the major ingredient is listed they are not
required to list secondary ingredients except for a few deadly ones, such as
peanuts.

3. Have you checked Danna Korn's book, Kids With Celiac Disease.  She has a
list of all the goody candies that are gf.  Her book is on Amazon.

4. I read somewhere that Hershey's uses wheat flour to coat the inside of the
silver wrappers. They do this to prevent the bars from sticking to the
paper.

5. The following site has hundreds of candy and chocolate that is gf!!
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-ongoing.html

6. My understanding is that rolo's are gf. I believe I found the info on
Abigail's list on the listserve. As far as ingredients go, it sure sounds
gf.

7. I eat Rolos frequently and have never had a problem.

8. The reason Rolo's may not be gluten-free is because the line on which
the chocolate travels may be coated with flour to keep it from sticking.
Just a suggestion as this has been the reason stated by other chocolate
makers.

Overall, many Hershey's chocolate products, including Rolos, seem to be
gluten-free.  AND since I received these responses, I have been eating Rolos
and Hershey's milk chocolate and Mr. Goodbar with no negative reactions.
So....Enjoy!

Pam