From:
Gail Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 21:01:23 EDT

Hello everyone

Thank you for all the responses we recieved including several from folks who
knew nothing about bone grafts or spinal fusion but just wanted to wish Gail
well.

Before the summary of responses, i have to tell you what happened.  On Tuesday
we saw the surgeon and he told us that a discectomy wouldn't be enough and
that she needed spinal fusion and it was set for that Friday.   On thursday
they were to call us to tell us what time the surgery would be on Friday.
Well on thursday afternoon the surgeon called and said that he had reviewed
the MRI films and decided that she didn't need spinal fusion and that he would
be doing just the  discectomy.   She had the discectomy this past friday and
there were no complications.  She came home on saturday.  (Other than the fact
that she passed out while we were outside for a walk today, and i had to carry
her inside) she is doing as well as can be expected and so far has tremendous
pain at the surgical sight but no radicular pain and no numbness.

Now the brief summary;
Most important, 5 people responded that they had fusion and bone grafts with
no complications.  One person had a bone graft taken from someone else but
without any problems.
Several people highly reccomended that before the surgery, Gail have her bone
density tested.  This certainly makes sense and we called the surgeon's office
to ask that it done.  We were pleasantly suprised toi learn that they had
already done it as part of the pre-op tests (and i intend to find out the
results and then ask you foks what it means).
The other response i got which suprised me because i simply didn't know was
being informed that once a Celiac goes on a GF diet, the malapsorbtion ends
and bone density should recouip to normal levels.  That was certainly
encouraging.

Again, thank you all
Mark & Gail