From:
rice cakes etc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:18:06 -0400

Hi everyone,

I've been getting requests to be more explicit about the problems with
Celebrex, so here is the gist of the post I received earlier this summer:

"I was on celebrex for 7 days, Don't ask......I am still suffering the side
effects on my stomach after 6 weeks. I did research on leaky gut with CD.
No way are we supposed to take any NSAIDS at all."

Here's the newspaper article:

The Hype: Cox-2 inhibitors have been hailed as a breakthrough in pain
relief, more effective than earlier drugs and also gentler on the
stomach. The Truth: COX 2 inhibitors (the first of which, called
Celebrex, is already on the market) ease pain about as well as aspirin,
ibuprofen or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NAIDS). But a
relative lack of side effects makes them a better choice for treatment
of chronic conditions like arthritis, according to Roland W. Moskowitz,
M.D, professor of medicine at Eleveland's Case Western Reserve
University. As their name suggests, COX-2 inhibitors block the action of
the COX-2 enzyme, a catalyst that causes painful inflammation of the
body's tissues. Standard NSAIDs thwart this enzyme, too-but they also
inhibit COX-1, which protects the stomach from its own corrosive acids.
So regular use of aspirin can trigger stomach upsets as well as ulcers,
internal bleeding or other adverse reactions. COX-2 inhibitors spare its
users such problems. But the news isn't all good: A recent study
suggests that these agents enhance blood clotting, which may in turn
promote heart attacks or stokes. Says Moskowitz, "Further studies will
determine whether these experimentsl findings translate into real health
concerns."<<<<<

The article in the Vancouver Sun, where I live, stated:

"...Some patients who have tried Celebrex aren't convinced it prevents
gastrointestinal bleeding.....the drug can cause GI discomfort, especially
in people with a severe lactose intolerance and people with other medical
conditions besides arthritis.  The drug is also potentially dangerous for
anyone allergic to sulpha drugs as this is a sulpha drug also (other NSAIDS
are not sulpha drugs)."

That's what I have seen & it was enough for me to decide not to take Celebrex
very frequently.  I have discovered that taking two extra strength tylenol
(yes, it's gf) about every six hours takes care of my arthritic aches & I
only take "one" Celebrex when I get one of my migraines.

Helen