From:
Mireille Cote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:13:33 -0500

Thank you all who sent me good suggestions.

I had many responses, among them a few freeze thickened sauces or soups with
cornstarch, many use sweetrice flour, others arrowroot.  One has success
with chickpea flour.

Have been asked for the soup recipe, so here it is:

CONDENSED TOMATO SOUP

Great for a good tomato crop. Makes a condensed soup to
freeze or bottle. Flavor is similar to commercial variety.

7 1/2 lbs. Ripe tomatoes, quartered or cut up
3 Medium onions, cut in chunks
6 Celery ribs, chopped
4 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
6 sprigs of parsley

1/2 cup butter
6 tbsp. All-purpose flour (can be cornstarch, arrowroot, chickpea or
sweetrice flour)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Cayenne pepper

Combine first 6 ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to
boil. Tomatoes will make enough liquid as they boil. Cover
and simmer on low heat for 2 hours. Discard bay leaf and
cloves. Force the rest through cone ricer or run through
blender, then strain to remove seeds.

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in remaining ingredients. Add
some strained soup and mix. Pour back into soup. Boil and
stir until thickened. Pour into jars and process 20 minutes
in water bath or freeze in small containers*. Makes about 9
cups condensed soup.

To serve, add pinch of baking soda to 1 cup hot tomato
soup, then add 1 cup hot milk.

*I will can it as I find the taste fresher and less altered than in the
freezer.  Moreover, it sit on shelves or anywhere in the house:  under the
bed, etc... and dosn't use freezer space.