From:
Pam McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:01:43 -0500

Thanks to all for the replies to my email regarding negative biopsy after
going GF.  I have since found out from the lab that the samples the gastro
took were from the duodenum area only.  I know this will limit the results
as damage can be scattered in the small intestine.

My GP and I believe I am celiac, but we're trying to decipher which of my
health concerns stem from celiac damage and which from post-operative gall
bladder syndrome. The endoscopy did narrow down the concerns I had about my
ongoing, chronic GERD that is not improved by diet, medicine and all other
anti-GERD regimens I've followed for nearly three years.  The gastro found
bile in my stomach which caused it to be red, irrited, inflammed and
consequently brings on acid reflux.  This is why the nexium has not worked.
 Like my
 still elevated bilirubin, bile reflux is a very common symptom of
post-op GB syndrome (as is the pain, bloating and tenderness in my abdomen).

Many folks asked about my diet and why I don't eat fats. My diet has been
chosen by my digestion.  I eat a sort of "caveman" diet because I can easily
digest it.  I don't eat dairy, grains, nuts, oils, eggs or
artificial/multiple ingredients because I don't feel good when I do.  Also,
I remember reading an article by a female doc (whose name I can't remember)
in a Clan Thompson newsletter recommending that healing celiacs NOT eat any
grain or "allergy food" to give the body a true rest and let the intestines
heal more efficiently.

Anyway, some of the information sent me was about getting gene testing--and
one person recommended Promethius labs for this as "they are the only one
that looks for the third gene which to date has been positive in all
iopsy-diagnosed Celiacs who tested negative on the two more common genes,"
getting another stool test while this time adding fats to my diet, checking
pancreatic enzymes (which are fine, by the way), taking a D-xylose test for
absorption, having my biopsy slides sent and "re-read" by Dr. Green or Dr.
Fasano (which I am looking into).  Thanks again to all who replied.
Happy New Year!
Pam