From:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:39:27 -0800

Ok here it goes. When I was a little girl like yours, my mom made me a Barbie cake and it came out AWESOME. She baked it in a Pyrex bowl and then "hollowed out" the center core, took off Barbie's legs (I happend to have ballerina barbie, who came with a crown already affixed on her head),and placed her in the center of the "skirt". She frosted the cake with a pink icing she made from Dream Whip (not sure if this is in the stores anymore, but it's very light and almost marshmellowie in flavor). Walla. Barbie cake.

Hello! I saw your question about the gf "Barbie" cake on Listserv and

wanted to answer you.

I have baked a gf "Barbie" cake using the Wilton "Wondermold" cake pan.

The results were excellent. Here is what I did:

1. Generously grease and rice flour the pan AND the heating core. If you don't grease the heating core it will stick to the cake and you won't be able to pull it out.

2. Make sure you put 6 cups of batter into the pan. I know it is a pain to measure the batter, but it is really worth it to produce the right size cake.

3. Heat your oven to 325 degrees F. This is about 25 degrees F less than a traditional cake bakes at. Due to the volume of cake batter, I found that baking this cake at a slightly lower temperature produced the best results.

4. Bake for about 1-hour. This cake takes awhile to bake. Be sure to use a long cake tester to ensure the cake is done in the middle.

5. Cool the cake in the pan for approx. 10 minutes. Then turn cake out onto a wire cooling rack.

6. Allow cake to cool completely.

7. Use a "doll pick" for the cake. This is a basically a Barbie without the body. I know wilton makes them. If you try to use a full-size Barbie the cake has a good chance of breaking.

8. Decorate using a star tip and go to town. The decorating is the best part!

Have fun with this cake! If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Happy Gluten-Free Baking,  Elizabeth Barbone

Owner  Gluten-Free Baking and More  www.glutenfreebakingandmore.com

I did a "Barbie" cake years ago...but there were no special pans. I used a bundt cake....but the trick was to use a legless Barbie. You can either purchase a half doll at any crafts type store or recycle a doll that haas been delegified.  Good luck!  Connie

All the suggestions you've received seem like good ones. Just a few small hints to add, not about the type of icing, but on how to apply it. I used to make elaborate cakes before child #3 came along. Now I make (made :-( mostly cheesecakes and tortes that taste(d) great, with not much decoration.

There are various ways to ice it.

1) using the star tip, you put on basically 1,000,000 (well, it seems like it anyway) rosettes to cover the "dress". Very time consuming, but the final product is awesome! A buttercream icing works well for this, and it freezes well. Butter, flavour, icing sugar and a bit of cream.

2) If you're using regular icing, first apply a thin layer of an egg-white based icing to "seal in" the crumbs. If GF bread is any indication, GF cake is probably very crummy, er crumbly. If you apply the icing in two layers, you'll avoid a confetti of cake crumbs throughout the final layer of icing.

3) I've never used the fondant icing, but I would think that unless you've used it before, this probably isn't a good time to experiment with it.

4) alternately, you could make a fudge-type icing and dribble it down the "dress" and when it hardens it would be very smooth.

The problem with making a large cake in a bowl, is it's difficult to get the centre cooked without drying out the edges. A friend made three types of regular cake, layered them with jam and custard, trimmed it into a dress shape, and iced it. It was fabulous, but it probably took her 1,000 hours to do it. And I think taking the legs off the Barbie is a good idea, unless your dd would freak when she sees the legless Barbie after the cake is cut (I know my oldest would have, not kidding).

Good luck. When is the party? Let us know how it all turns out. Isn't 4 such a great age?

Take care. Theresa (in Vancouver, Canada)

"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson