From:
Linda R Etherton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:08:57 -0500

I appreciate everyone's reply and input.  My question regarded Arrowhead
Mills Gluten-Free Pancake and Waffle Mix.

Several people have contacted Arrowhead Mills.

Here's one response that is a good summary:

When I asked Arrowhead Mills about cross-contamination earlier this
year, they told me they thoroughly clean the line before running a
gluten free grain and give to charity or throw away the first 50 pounds
off the line.  They specifically didn't say cross-contamination wasn't
possible, just told me what they do to minimize it.

One person said "they really aren't very concerned" (referring to the
company).

1 Person uses the mix and has had no reaction.

1 Person uses several of their products with no problem.

7 People thought that there definitely was or could be cross
contamination with any of their products.

2 people thought they have reacted to the mix and 4 had reacted to other
Arrowhead Mills products.

1 person reacted to their Buckwheat flake cereal.

2 people suggested using Pamela's pancake mix and 2 suggested Authentic
Foods.

Other suggestions were to look for possible contaminants such as butter
or other food allergens.

Regarding the home made syrup one person thought it could have been a
stomach bug from that.

2 people suggested a wool allergy reaction to the syrup.

Here's an additional response that just came in.

I am not sure about my sensitivities.  But I have always had
some problem after using any Arrowhead flour product.

I have noticed that any of their mixes that include brown rice flour
always seem to be somewhat rancid (the test: chewing the flour or the
baked goods for a while causes the tongue to feel similar to having a
bar of soap touch the tongue-- it is kind of a stinging sensation.
Sometimes this takes two or three well-chewed bites.  It doesn't happen
with fresh flour.) When I eat several servings of something made with
not-fresh flour, my thinking is foggier the next day.

On the other hand,  Arrowhead whole grain rice has always been great!

Without going into unnecessary details, I'm sure my reaction was not
viral.  I do not have a wool allergy.  My husband and sister do, but have
never reacted to the syrup.  All the ingredients in the pancakes I have
eaten at other times with no reaction.  I use separate butter and my
kitchen is free of wheat bread and flour.  My children (not celiacs) also
ate the pancakes and none of them had any problems.  The pancakes were
the first thing I ate that a.m. and I felt fine until a little while
(about an hour) after I ate them.  I don't plan on using any more of
their products.

Thanks,
Linda