From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2011 13:27:54 -0400

Again, thank you all.

I called Food for Life about their crumbly wraps.  Woman said they work best if heated. Two choices.
200 degree oven, covered in foil, for 10 min.
or
microwave between 2 damp paper towels for a few seconds.  (I will add...Don't use paper towels with fancy print. Some of the coloring is metallic.)

She also confirmed that my wraps fell apart because the ingredients had moisture and because they weren't eaten immediately, which listmates told me, too. Well, sorry, but most of my food has water content.

So basically, I think these wraps are a waste of my money and won't suit my purposes.  For me to eat rice or anything else high-glycemic, it better be value added to my gluten-free meals.  This one...too unreliable to plan on using with company. Doesn't travel well.  Too needy.  She also said they're coming out with a more durable product proabably by the end of the year...so they are aware of the issue.

Not for nuthin', but she didn't offer to reimburse me.  Didn't ask if I wanted coupons for anything, not that I was looking for that.  I may just take the unused package back to Whole Foods to get a refund.

And, from another listmate, here are some recipes I received:

Curried Lentil Burritos

Serves 2
Published in: Cuisine At Home

For the filling
1 tablespoons Vegetable oil
1/4 cup Onion -- diced
1 teaspoons Curry Powder
1 teaspoons Jalapeno -- minced
1 1/2 cups Vegetable broth
1/2 cup Tomatoes -- chopped
1/2 cup Red potatoes -- cubed
1/4 cup Brown lentils
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 cup Spinach -- frozen chopped
1/2 juice Lime
Salt to taste
1 recipe Spiced Yogurt
1 recipe Tomato Chutney

For the Tortilla
1 Egg
1 tablespoons Milk
1 tablespoons Parsley -- chopped
2 10" Flour Tortilla (use GF rice tortillas - my note)
1/2 cup Monterey Jack Cheese -- shredded
1 recipe Tomato Chutney

For the filling: Saute onion, curry powder, and jalapeno in oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Cook until onion begins to brown, 5 to 8 minutes, stirring often. Stir in broth, tomatoes, potatoes, lentils, and bay leaf. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until lentils
are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the spiced yogurt while lentils cook. finish lentils with spinach (no need to thaw it first), lime juice, and salt.

For the Spiced Yogurt: Process all ingredient except yogurt in a food processor until minced. Stir herb paste into yogurt, chill until ready to serve.

For the Tortillas: Blend egg, milk, and parsley in a pie plate. Heat a 12" nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Dip both sides of a tortilla in the egg mixture, then fry in half of the oil until golden brown on one side, about 1 minutes; flip the tortilla over Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese and continue frying until second side is brown, about 1 minute; transfer to a work surface. Add the remaining oil to the skillet and fry the other tortilla in the same manner.

To assemble the burritos, place 3/4 cup of lentil filling on the lower third of each tortilla, then roll the bottom of the tortilla over the filling to cover. Fold in both sides and roll to the end. Serve with the yogurt.

Spiced Yogurt
Published in: Cuisine At Home

1 cup Cilantro -- leaves and stems
1/4 cup Scallions -- white and green parts
2 teaspoons Ginger -- chopped
1 teaspoons Sugar
1/4 teaspoons Cumin -- ground
2 clove Garlic -- chopped
1/2 juice Lime
Salt and cayenne -- to taste
1/2 cup Yogurt -- plain

Process all ingredients except yogurt in a food processor until minced. Stir herb paste into yogurt, chill until ready to use.

Tomato Chutney

1 Red onion -- small dice
2 inches Ginger -- grated
1 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Balsamic vinegar
1 1/4 cups Sugar
16 Plum tomatoes -- peeled and diced
1/3 cup Raisins

Simmer everything except the raisins for 45 minutes. Add raisins and simmer another 10 - 15 minutes.

Recipe Notes
Serve with Lentil Burrito