From:
"Southworth, Teigh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 08:40:33 -0400

Preamble:

My wife was biopsy diagnosed with CD last November.  She bought a loaf
of commercial GF bread, while it was fine toasted, she didn't like the
taste or the way it crumbled when making sandwiches.  With both of us
working and our hectic lifestyle I needed to find a recipe for GF bread
that was fast and easy to make, without buying a bread machine, that
tasted good in sandwiches, didn't crumble, was moist, and didn't get
dry at the end of the loaf.

The recipe I found was an Irish Soda Bread by Arlene Costello and Agnes
Walters at Breadrecipe.com.  To make it GF and suitable for sandwiches
the changes I made are:

Change all-purpose flour to GF flour
Delete the raisins
Reduce the amount of sugar (it was too sweet for sandwiches, but
excellent strait out of the oven)
Add some xanthum gum
(I did make one batch without the xanthum, it is ok but slightly drier
and more crumbly than we desired)
The original recipe divides the batter between two pans, I make a double
batch and divide between three pans for fuller loaves.  After five
iterations here is the recipe I now use:

GF Irish Soda Bread (double batch):

8   cups  GF flour mix  (2 1/2 pounds)
3/4 tsp   xanthum gum
3/4 cup   white sugar
2   tsp   baking soda
4   tsp   baking powder
1   tsp   salt
6         eggs
2   pint  sour cream (1 pint is 1 pound)
1/4 cup   milk or water so that batter almost pours

1 Preheat oven to 375 deg F.  Grease three 8 x 4 inch pans.

2 Mix dry ingredients.  Add eggs, sour cream and liquid and mix.

3 Divide batter evenly between the three pans. (I give them a
couple good raps against the counter to level the batter)

4 Bake at 375 deg F for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out
clean. (The more liquid you use the longer it takes)

Postamble:

This recipe takes me 2 hours from start to finish.  I make this in a 5
Qt Kitchen Aide Mixer.  I now weigh the flour, it is faster and more
consistent.  The GF flour mix I use is:

4 parts  Brown Rice Flour
1 part   Potato Starch Flour
1 part   Tapioca Flour