From:
"Karen M. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Nov 1994 09:16:41 -0800

> I'm trying to help a couple of Mom's get the hang of affordable cooking,
> gluten/casein free, and still have the extra time they are accustomed to.
>
> I'm asking if some of you would post a day's menu, one that is family
> friendly....thanks Chris Braffet, [log in to unmask]

Not sure if this is "family friendly" - but I've been so wiped out since
I've been pregnant, that a *lot* of meals are based on the following
"semi-formula" routine that is *quick* and *easy*:

Breakfast:

Instant rice pudding - take a bowl of brown rice (from rice pot in fridge
that is kept around *all the time*).  Top with a handful of dried fruit,
a small handfull of chopped nuts, a drizzle of maple syrup or sprinkle of
brown sugar and a splash of milk substitute (Mocha Mix, Rice Dream or soy
milk).  Toss in microwave for 2 minutes on high to warm through
(adult-size bowl).  Adults may want to add a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg,
also.  Serve with hot drink and/or juice.

Morning snack:  Peanut butter on rice cakes, fruit, water.

Lunch:  Rice cake or bread or corn tortilla topped with lunchmeat or sliced
roast or tuna salad.  Vegetable (carrot/celery) sticks.  Sliced fruit.

Afternoon snack:  Popcorn

Dinner: Grilled meat/chicken (or broil) with baked potato or brown rice
and green and yellow veggie (e.g. broccoli and winter squash).  Baked
(microwaved) apple for dessert.

Night snack: gluten-free cookies and fruit; dairy-free frozen dessert; GF
cake such as home-made Wacky Cake (1 bowl, 1 spoon, 1 pan).

Note:  Will need multi-vitamin/calcium supplementation for this regime!

If you need recipes for some of the GF baked goods, check out Bette
Hagmans' books.  Also note that many "quickbread" recipes can be adapted
to GF flours by using the simple expedient of substituting GF Flour Mix
(rice, potato starch and tapioca starch flours) for unbleached "regular"
flour.  I have successfully converted Wacky Cake, various fruit (banana,
apple) breads, and a wonderful peanut butter bread using GF Flour Mix.
E-mail back if you need some recipes, and I can upload them from my
on-line database.

karen

[log in to unmask]   (if urgent, use [log in to unmask] - the better half)
Karen Davis of Davis and Associates (818)892-8555
           "Pain is Mother Nature's way of telling us to slow down;
                       Death is her way of INSISTING!"