From:
Susan Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:24:25 EDT

I had the blood tests done at the U of M and the results were borderline.
Before I underwent an endoscopy and colonoscopy my GI told me he expected to
find signs of Sprue under the microscope.  Following the procedures I began
the gf diet and then got the call from my GI saying everything looks normal.
Regardless of the results I continued the gf diet and 'things' have improved.

I know my GI only took four biopsies from my entire system and it is possible
that he missed something.  But then I read the following excerpt from one of
our listmembers:

<< Dr. Fasanno did not think my son had Celiac after all, but we did have
 the blood tests done (the results are not in yet).  He thinks Nathan (my
 son) may have a wheat allergy instead. >>

My doctor didn't say anything about wheat allergy.  He wanted to look for
cancer- again.  Since my altered diet helped me I decided he can drink the
barium himself. :]

There seem to be so many of us who didn't get a definitive medical diagnosis
yet get so much relief with an altered diet.   So my question is:  If you
have a wheat allergy, does/can it give you the same problems as celiac?  If
so, why isn't more said about it?  How common is it amongst us?  And why is
it so difficult for our medical community to come together on this?  Ok, so
it was more than one question!  I hope someone has the answers.
 Susan in Texas