From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 23:26:46 -0700

Hi listmates,

Here is the most recent of the recipes and suggestions I got regarding
birthday cakes that are DF, GF, and sugarless.
Thanks to all!

A) sweetening alternatives:

-a brown rice (organic) sweetener by Devansheer that is
 gluten-free and has a similar bulk to it (important for baking
 when substituting sugar).
-sweeteners from fruit sources (concentrated apple juice, fruit
 sweet, date sugar, etc), work well in cakes
-replace the lard/butter part of cake recipes
 with apple sauce
-Try applesauce for the oil or part of the oil then you can use
 most recipes  and then you will have the ratio you
 should need
-apple juice (even if you use a juicer and run the apples through
 it) or even orange juice, or bananas (add moisture)
-carob powder is gf, sweet and not artificial
-try honey as a sweetener

B) dairy alternatives:

- Dari-Free (milk replacement) and Fleischmann's Unsalted
 (lactose free) spread

C) flour alternatives:

-a nut flour such as walnuts or pecans

D) Specific Recipes for cakes or other suitable alternatives:

1) Applesauce Muffins

Mix together:  1 1/2 c. applesauce, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons oil.  In
a separate bowl whisk together your dry ingredients:  2 c. GF
flour (I may use Hagmans or blend my own), 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1
teaspoon baking soda, 3 teaspoons baking powder.  Add dry to wet,
stir only until evenly mixed (do not over beat).  Spoon into
oiled muffin tins or into cupcake papers. Bake at 350 degrees for
20-22 minutes.

They aren't overly sweet, but used as muffins it is easy to add a
little apple butter, strawberry jam...I often make them with
raisins.  It works to substitute other fruit sauces instead of =D4

2) make an angel food cake as there's no dairy
in these

3) using bananas as a substitute for oil and tr with a standard
white cake recipe-can covert to chocolate cake by adding carob

4) make a plate of fresh cut fruit as an alternative

5) recipes from the book Fabulous and Flourless from amazon.com
which all are made using nut flours that you grind at home with a
coffee grinder or hand mill. The recipes are European cakes that
look like a pastry chef prepared. All these use eggs but have
some that are sugarless and others require Gf margerine. Cakes
turn out very well.

6) from Arlene Stetzer's "The Practical Gluten-Free Cookbook"
($25 + $3 from 608-534-6730). You need to use her white rice
flour mix, which is:

 3 cups white rice flour (not sweet rice flour, she buys from
      Asian markets)
 1 cup cornstarch
 1 teaspoon xanthum gum

The recipe is for Banana Bread and I would think would work in a
muffin tin.

         [This recipe has been removed from the logfiles, as]
         [it is copyrighted material---the CELIAC Listowners]

7) using recipe above to make completely sugarless cake:

Add one extra banana instead of sugar. You
should be able to cook it in a cake pan.

8) Banana cake 2:

Requires some substitutions to be GF.  You can substitue maybe 1/2 cup soy
flour, 1 cup brown rice flour, 3/4 cup white rice flour or whatever
combination you like for the oats.  Here is the recipe with the oats:

                      Banana Cake
2 cups mashed bananas
2 1/4 cups oat flour (substitute gluten free flour)
2 Tbls. baking powder
2 Tbls. water
2 eggs

In as bowl put mashed bananas and add eggs and water.  Wisk till thoroughly
blended.  Mix flour and baking powder in another bowl.  Add this mixture to
the banana mixture and stir till blended.  Add raisins or nuts or sunflower
seed if desired.  Bake at 350 for 35 min. or until done.  You might have to
play with the ingredients a little.  Changing flours might require more
water or a little less flour.