Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:20:32 -0500

I want to share this bread recipe that I just developed using the new Silk
"Live" mango smoothie product. This GFCF bread is very similar in taste and
texture to the Boston Brown Bread that New Englanders eat with baked beans
(traditionally steamed or purchased in a can).  This bread is a heavy, brown
bread that will stay moist - you don't have to zoom it into the freezer and then
try to pry slices off of a frozen bread brick.  Slice it thin and spread
something good on it.  I hope everyone likes it!  The mango flavor is stronger
on the first day when you bake it.  On day two, the corn flavor takes over.

Notes:
To make this bread more flavorful and also to make it brown, I have used prunes
instead of oil.  You will need to find pitted prunes, which are now labeled
"dried plums" in the grocery store.  Put 1/3 cup of dried plums in a saucepan,
cover with water and simmer for 20 minutes.  Remove the plums from the water,
and mash them to a paste with a fork. Discard the extra water.

Alice's Brown Bread

Mix in one bowl:
1 1/3 cups GF Cookie flour mix #1 (see below)
2 Tb almond meal
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix in another bowl:
1 cup (almost a whole bottle) Mango Silk "Live" soy smoothie
1 egg
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup prune puree (see Notes above)
1/2 or 2/3 cup big raisins

Stir the second wet mixture into the first dry mixture.  Butter 3 small loaf
pans (5 inch size).  Divide mixture amongst pans and smooth the tops. The bread
will rise, but it will retain the marks left on the top as you spread the dough
out. Bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the
bread comes out clean.  Remove from pans. Let cool completely.  Slice thinly.

This bread will remain moist, even if left uncovered.

The GF flour mix I used came from the Christmas cookie thread a while back:

COOKIE FLOUR MIX #1
2 c brown rice flour
2 c white rice flour
1 1/2 c sweet rice flour
1 1/3 c tapioca starch or flour
2/3 c corn starch
1/2 c rice bran or rice polish
2 tsp xanthan gum

Sift together 3 or 4 times and store in canister. Use 1 c
of this mixture when recipe calls for 1 c wheat flour.
Works very well in cookies, bars, cakes - even rolled out
sugar cookies.