Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 08:35:40 EDT

To the List:

At the request of the International Celiac Walk Chairperson, I am pleased to
post the following note.  A good job well done, Julie.

Tom Sullivan

WOW! Did we "Make Tracks for Celiacs"!!

Groups all over the world joined together on May 4th and 5th and walked to
increase Celiac Awareness and to raise funds for Research.

From Maryland to Minnesota, from Illinois to Italy, from Michigan to
California, and from Arizona to Argentina, we had thousands of walkers in the
First International walk for Celiac Disease. Italy alone had approximately
8000 walkers!

As the chairperson for this event, I want to thank everyone for their
outstanding efforts in this event. All of the planning that went on at the
local level was incredible. We were all volunteers taking on something that
was dear to our heart and soul. It was foreign to most of us, but we pulled
it off. There were some kinks and bumps along the way, but we weathered
through them knowing that next year we can try to improve. Are we as big as
the Race for the Cure? Not yet, but if we continue to pull together as well
as we did this year, who knows what we are all capable of.

I have enjoyed working with all of you. It has been wonderful sharing e-mails
and getting to know so many caring people across the United States. I share
the same challenges with Celiac Disease that you do. My son and I are both
Celiacs.

I would also like to applaud the Center for Celiac Research for spearheading
this event and for all of their efforts in supporting the celiac community.
This event was groundbreaking in bringing the celiac community together for a
common cause. It built the foundation for many more walks to come in the
future. The Center has been instrumental in increasing the awareness of
Celiac Disease to not only healthcare professionals, but the general
population, too. It has been supporting cutting-edge, innovative, and
multidisciplinary research in all aspects of Celiac Disease. With the
evolution of this International Walk, the Center has created an International
Center for Celiac Research Network.

Thank you for your patience and outstanding efforts,

Julie Gaereminck, Chairperson

We would like to acknowledge our National Sponsors who participated in this
event.

Bob's Red Mill
University of Maryland Hospital for Children
University of Maryland Medical System
University of Maryland School of Medicine
Dietary Specialties
El Peto Products
Mrs. Leepers
Gluten-Free Pantry
Gluten Free Living
Pamela's Products

We are still gathering results from all of the groups and locations. Please
visit our website, www.celiacwalk.org, for the final results.  It should be
posted within the next two weeks.

If you were unable to participate in the walk, but would like to purchase an
official Walk T-shirt, please visit the walk website.