From:
Christine A. Krahling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:58:39 -0500

While it has been said that there is no such thing as "bad" publicity, as a
public relations professional, I tend to disagree with the mention I read
in the January 11 issue of the Home News Tribune of East Brunswick, NJ. On
Page A2, in the "People" section, the following mention appears regarding
the death of Joseph Calleja: "Kid Rock won't forget sidekick" is the
heading. Relative to celiac disease, the following was mentioned: "Calleja,
known as Joe C., was 26 when he died in November. His short stature was the
result of a lifelong illness, celiac disease, a digestive disorder that
required him to take more than 60 pills a day."

I find it hard to believe that this man was taking 60 pills a day directly
related to the condition of celiac disease, and think this mention gives
the public a distorted view of how this condition is managed. I plan to
contact the newspaper to research where they received this information.
This may have been something that came across the AP wire, since it is a
daily column with celebrity mentions. I'm thinking that perhaps Kid Rock's
or Joe C.'s publicist could have provided a press release.

It is imperative that we distribute accurate, helpful information on celiac
disease and its management to the public. As we know, people with celiac
disease can also suffer from other diseases and react to foods that are not
related to the condition of CD itself. I plan to continue to increase
awareness of CD in a positive manner as part of my career and volunteer
work. I'd like to hear from others who are making similar contributions in
their community.

Thanks for the sounding board.