From:
Lindsay Amadeo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 23:57:01 -0500

I am the mom of a 3 year old celiac whose older brother has short stature
without any other celiac symptoms.  Consultation with the PED GI resulted
in serum testing at Prometheus with him showing endomysial/EMA negative and
borderline positive on Gliadin IGA and IGG.

He has a biopsy scheduled for Thur and the Doc will be taking samples from
several areas as I anticipate damage, if there, to be patchy.  Have been
giving the child a daily tsp of vital wheat gluten to offset our family's
lower gluten diet (natural outcome of cooking gf for the celiac family
member).

I feel my child is in that "does he have it or doesn't he" diagnostic
muddle and want to be sure I ask all the questions and have everything I
done that should be as we pursue his condition.  I do realize many from the
list will caution me to avoid the biopsy and take the child gf.  That may
be a choice my family makes if the biopsy is inconclusive, however, at this
time we feel it is in our best interest to pursue official diagnosis.
Appreciate tips from others to make this proceedure as conclusive as it can
be.

Planned to ask about the less obvious intestine changes that may show on
the biopsy including:

*Partial villous atrophy/blunting
*Crypt hyperplasia
*Lymphocytic infiltration of lamina propria
*Increase in intraepithelial lympocytes
*Abnormal epithelial cells -- flat, cubodial, stratified?

Many thanks for your advice.