From:
Bobbie Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:10:08 -0400

Dear Listmates,

Many thanks to all the many responders to my "Questions from a Newcomer."   The response was tremendous!  I started answering each one but can't seem to find the time to finish.  So here's a summary of your very thoughtful and kind remarks.

As to the seizures:  Several of you have had, or know someone who has had, seizures resulting from CD.  Most told me that the seizures stopped or greatly improved after being GF for some time, which varied from a few weeks to a year.  Liz has been doing great with the seizures since she's been GF, but we've also changed seizure drugs, which could be the reason.  Last Sunday, however, she had two grand mals.  I had just started her on some natural products, which I suspect either caused the seizures or interfered with the absorption of her drugs.  The naturopath who prescribed them researched them and found nothing suspicious, but Liz is not taking them now & has had no more seizures.  Perhaps it's just a coincidence & it was time for a seizure.  Some of you recommended a probiotic.  The naturopath told me her products would take the place of a probiotic & would be better.  If any of you could help me with this, I would appreciate it.

As to the allergy meds:  Thanks to you who recommended the GF med sites.  Claritin is on the GF list, but not Clarinex.  One person said she took Clarinex with no problem, but a couple of others said they had problems with it.  Dayquil & Nyquil are also on the GF list, but I suspect this is the liquid form.  Liz took the gel tablet form, which I feel had something in it to cause her severe diarrhea.  I haven't called the company.  It is possible, one of you told me, that the diarrhea came from the sinus infection.  Two of you told me about Veratrum which I bought for diarrhea this week.  It worked!  Thank you!!  The bout this week came from creme brulee from a restaurant.  It's GF but I think the dairy did it.  She has also tested positive for casein intolerance.  She wanted to test it, though, and paid the price.  Thanks to the Veratrum, it was a mild reaction.

As to the rash:  Since it isn't DH, several of you suggested that she might be allergic to other things but a couple said it was probably the gluten.  It has cleared up now.  Now that we're so very careful about what she eats, it will be easier to trace anything different that might cause the rash.

I also want to tell you that since Liz has been GF, her life has changed.  She's gone from being sickly, listless, depressed  and anorexic-appearing  to  bright-eyed, happy and energetic.  She continues to gain weight (a good thing for her) & she is even mentally brighter.  She's 24 & has always had learning problems.  Another reason she's so happy is she has a boyfriend.  She went away to a special high school & since she's been back she's had no friends her age.  This guy came along at the right time because she is well enough to go out with him and he is super nice.  He works with his parents in their upscale restaurant/deli but they're afraid to feed her because she got sick after a meal.  She had blue cheese dressing (homemade) & I've read that some blue cheeses are made with bread.  Aargh!  This is our tourist season, and I'm running a retail business.  Please tell me all this gets easier!

Thanks again to all of you.

Bobbie