From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:42:31 EDT

Can anyone tell me of a good gastroenterologist in Central, NJ.  I am closest
to Trenton, but would go as far as Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick.
Philly is also inconvenient, but acceptable if the doctor is good.  I know
that several members of my family have had really bad experiences with our
local doctors and trying to get screened for CD.  They all have the old idea
of diarrhea and wasting as a criteria, and those our not our symptoms.  Today
I called the doctor that my GP recommended, and perhaps did something that
was unconventional.  I asked the desk to have the doctor answer three
questions for me before I would make an appointment, and it would be all
right if a nurse or a receptionist could get back to me with the answers.

They were really insulted and told me if I wanted questions answered that I
would have to make and appointment.  I told them I did not want an
appointment if the doctor could not answer the questions to my satisfaction.
The questions were to screen the doctor, not to get free medical advice.
They put me on hold for a long time and then came back and told me they could
get me a brochure on CD.

I said that I already knew the answers, I just wanted to be sure he did.  I
then told them the questions I would like to ask the doctor.  I was put on
hold again and again told to make an appointment if I wanted to have
questions answered.

The questions were: To his knowledge:

What is the incidence of CD in the US?
What are the symptoms of CD?
What type of weight is typical for a person with CD?

I wanted to ask these questions, because my first gastro told me it was very
rare with the ratio being 1:6000.  They refused to do an intestinal biopsy on
my son because he was overweight and they were already doing an endoscopy for
a stomach biopsy.  My symptoms are not typical - malnutrition, but I am
overweight. etc.

I feel that these are logical questions to screen a doctor, but from what I
am gathering, the medical profession is the one place that one has to spend
one's money and go in blind.  That a doctor does not have to prove his
competence before selling his talents.  I guess I am a little frustrated.
Thanks for your help.  Carol