From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 15:55:47 -0700

Hi Listies,

I asked others on the list if they got bloating after gluten intake. Mine
manifests in abdominal bloat and facial (extra chins) and some in my arms
and legs.  I got responses from both males and females on this one:

Males:

-get this in the abdomen and resort to adding extra belt holes (also
provided helpful info that some women use pregnancy panty hose for the
occasion
-got breathing problems from the tummy bloat pressing, got facial bloat,
felt depressed and foggy ('lovingly named Big Bird by girlfriends'), lost
10-15 lbs after going GF and figure it was due to water loss, otherwise
had been thin till about his mid-30's
-the swelling may be due not to gluten intake but exogenous Cushing
syndrome

Females:

-tummy bloat, 2 lbs weight gain, clothes get tight, don't know if it's
water or gas ***get same from non-gluten allergenic foods, get rid of it
by drinking lots of water
-same symptoms I described for my case, suggested herbal tea might help
-mom's hands and feet swell, 5 year old child has swelling in face and
cheeks and gets a pot-bellied tummy
-swelling most dramatic in tummy but get all-over edema (ankles also bad),
once culprit has been identified can get rid of bloat within 24 hours, has
a lot of achiness during bloat and while it is subsiding
-ribs to abdomen swelling is especially noticeable, abdomen is still
'pudgy' on GF diet (had also heard this from other listies), water flushes
system and decreases bloat
-celiacs get 'edema' ( I don't know if this is different than what most
meant by 'swelling' or 'bloat')
-look like the baby is almost due, clothes get very tight, can't wait to
get home and get out of them into something loose

Since I posted and received all these helpful replies I went absolutely
free of any possible allergens such as corn and developed cheekbones (!).

On that note, I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has CD and also
other allergen problems such as corn. It seems that there are many of us
who have CD and several other allergens or sensitive foods that restrict
our diets further. Which foods can you eat, do you take supplements and how
do you make substitutions?

Thanks to all who replied!
Lissy