From:
Jan Kemper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jan Kemper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:50:20 -0500

Thanks to everyone who replied.

All my replies indicated that people who had taken Veratrum found it
helped bloating/gas.
One person suggested charcoal tablets, which capture the gas.
Another suggested metamucil or a similar product.
One person said to try a product called Natural Calm:

I do not have the usual GI symptoms of diarrhea but I have total
constipation and bloating.  I found a product a few yrs back that has been
my life saver.  I began taking it because of fibromyalgia body pain and soon
found out that it relieved my intestinal issues as well as reduce the
arthritic/muscular aching that had plagued me for all my life.  It is
Natural Calm.  It is a powdered magnesium that I drink every night.  It is
good for your heart, calcium absorption as well as intestinal balance.  It
is a powder that you dissolve in boiling water add cool water and drink.
You use 1-3 tsp the amount is determined by the individual up to bowel
tolerance.  You can not over dose.  You take it at night because it helps
you sleep.  I have no financial investment in Natural Calm.
www.NaturalCalm.org

Someone said that a product called Bio-Gest really helps them:

BIO-GEST is a digestive aid which helps your
stomach & small intestine digest the foods you eat.  Poorly digested
foods, especially starches & sugars provide intestinal bacteria & yeasts
food to feast upon.  The result is GAS, GAS, GAS.  When food is properly
digested, your body can absorb the nutrients before the bad guy bacteria
& yeast in the gut get a chance to feast upon it & produce all that
flattus.

BIO-GEST is available on line & in compounding pharmacies, naturopathic
dispensaries & pharmacies.  I take 1 to 4 with each meal.

Here is some interesting info on the general theory behind homeopathic remedies:

The conceptof homoepathic medicine is the law of the similars:
 if a substance (usually a plant, mineral, or animal substance)
ingested in a concentrated form causes XYZ symptoms, the same substance
take in very diluted concentrations (typically measured in parts per
thousand or less) will help the body to heal itself when it is
experiencing XYZ symptoms.  A mainstream example of this is quinine
which comes from a bark of a tree, and is used to treat malaria.  If
ingested in a concentrated form, quinine produces symptoms similar to
malaria.
There are dozens of homeopathic remedies for colds, depending upon
whether your cold consists of a stuffy or runny nose; if you feel
better with cold or warm compresses; if you feel weepy or don't want to
be touched; etc.  Similarly, there are many remedies for indigestion,
nausea, diarrhea, etc.  You can find lots of them at health food
stores.  Many naturopathic doctors are also knowledgeable about
homeopathic remedies and might be able to help you to identify ones
that could help.
Be sure NOT to eat anything for 15 minutes before or after taking a
remedy.  Don't touch the pills with your hand -- they can reduce their
effectiveness.

One person suggested trying another GF forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages

Thanks again!

Jan