From:
"Thorn, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thorn, Michael
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:56:37 -0500

I would appreciate suggestions from list members on calcium supplementation
> when lactose is a problem and three Caltrate-D pills a day is not enough.
> How high have people gone with pills and are there some good strategies
for
> integrating calcium into your diet?

I appreciate the responses. While most did not actually address the question
I thought that the information might be of interest to other list members.
They are listed in order received.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to write.

-Michael Thorn
Long Island/NY, Suffolk County Celiacs

 I take 1500 mg of calcium citrate + magnesium + Vitamin D a day.
I buy my calcium citrate at the Vitamine Shoppe. www.vitaminshoppe.com in
case you don't have one near you. I take 2 with each meal. I get the
magnesium there too. They have a combo pill with vit D but it is a horse
pill and I can't swallow it. These are in gelatin capsule form. All their
vitamins and minerals are mostly g/f and lactose free. I take Spring Valley
Vit D from Walmart and it is marked g/f on it also lactose free.
----
hree of my mds have recommended Twin Labs TRI-BORON PLUS
which add boron and Vit D for better utilization.  One took a friend off
fosomax
and put her on it.  I am 61 and my latest bone density test was near
+2...and this
with 3 foot surgeries which made it difficult for me to walk!!! [+1 is ideal
bone
density of premenopausal 40 year old]

btw, best to take cal/mag before bedtimes as that is when it is excreted.
-----
I have been taking 6 Citracal plus D a day,
since prescribed at the beginning of the year,
by nutritionist Anne Lee,
of the Celiac Disease Center.

This was based on my medical/celiac history,
and my dietary restrictions, which had
extremely limited calcium intake for a very
extended period of time.

The results of my most recent tests
by endocrinologist Dr. Carolyn Becker,

show that that prescription is working very well,
as my tests show marked improvement
in my DEXA and tests measuring
absorption of calcium are right in the middle,
measurement-wise.

It has been recommended by both, that
I maintain this regimen for the time being.
-----
Hi.  I have osteopenia and am also lactose intolerant so I can't eat dairy.
I was told by my GI doctor to take 2000mg. of Calcium per day.  You must
also be taking vitamin D and magnesium for best absorption.
----
Maybe the problem is that you are swamping your capacity to absorb
minerals with all that calcium. Celiacs often benefit from magnesium
alone, but if you are convinced of the importance of calcium, you might
try taking magnesium supplements at a different time of day from your
calcium.
---
apparently boiling bone broths (leftover from chicken and meats) is a good
way to get absorbable calcium

- bones from sardines, canned salmon
- collard greens, bok choy
- Super Nutrition Calcium Blend is an absorbable cocktail of calcium
magnesium, boron, etc in a whole-food source vitamin.
- hyrdrilla verticillata is a calcium powder from algae
- soy (although i don't eat it because it's a thyroid disruptor)
----
I drink Apple & Eve Cranberry Apple Juice with Calcium. It's easier on the
tummy than calcium fortified orange juice (but if citrus doesn't bother you,
there's another good option). I take Citracal with D (tablets) as well, and
I also drink 8 oz. of Lactaid milk in my mocha/coffee every morning. ;-)
----