Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 04:55:48 -0800

Since this is a group that has had a lot of experience with lactose intolerance, I was hoping you could help me out...

  A few weeks ago, I had a bowl of ice cream (like I'd had inumerable times before) and right after finishing it, I got really sick (major cramps, gas, and diarrhea). At first I thought of lactose intolerance because I had had nachoes earlier that day. However, as I couldn't seem to leave the bathroom and continued to feel aweful (it was probably 15 minutes at least), I began to wonder about gluten contamination, but I couldn't think of anything that I had eaten that hadn't been verified as gluten-free. About a week later, I had another bowl of ice cream (just like the last one) and experienced exactly the same symptoms. This pretty much proved that the ice cream was the culprit as nothing else I ate that day had been the same as with the previous incident. The ice cream came from Blue Bunny which has always had safe ice cream and this was from the second half of the carton, so if it was gluten, why would I have not reacted before. The topping was home-made with all
 gluten-free ingredients and a mixture that I had eaten numerous times before. Then yesterday I was eating cheese and crackers for lunch, and started getting sick (although not so bad as with the ice cream, thank goodness), so it seems to me that this is definitely a lactose thing.

  The question is, why am I reacting so strongly to lactose all of a sudden? I haven't been eating any more dairy than usual, and I always take Lactaid (two for a bowl of ice cream). The only thing I can come up with is that I have started taking acidophilus pills every morning. Could that possibly be making my lactose intolerance worse? I hope someone on this list knows the answer.

  Angela Taylor