From:
Pixilated <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 12:19:18 -0800

Dear Listmates,

        This summary is long overdue!  Sorry, but the demands of school do
take their toll... At any rate, the 50 or so responses ran the gamut from
allergy/asthma responses to possible heart problems.  Some said it is a
definite gluten response and others said esophageal spasms.
        Judging from the responses it seems pain and tightness in the chest
are very common.  As for me, I tend to believe that it was aspiration of
fluids AND esophageal spasm.  I remember at the time that my esophagus was
hurting and I could feel that it was spasming.
        BTW, to the one member who worried that the attending phys.
overlooked my heart... not to worry!  When I said "pain in chest and
shortness of breath" they took me in first and plugged me into a machine to
monitor my heart etc.  (under much protest from me I might add).  My heart
was just fine, but thank you very much for your concern!  :)
**************
Now as to the awful diet...
        Being a busy student who is also teaching, I find I most often just
don't have time to deal with the demands of this diet.  Yet, knowing that
the above problems can happen to me with a slip-up, well... suddenly the
diet becomes a blessing.  Who has time for the symptoms when we can avoid
them by diet compliance?
        I DO GET FRUSTRATED!  Oh don't get me wrong on that!  When I can't
simply stop anywhere I please to eat, or I have to get too creative in the
kitchen to find a palatable quick meal (emphasis on quick).....  HECK, we
all do.  But then I think about days like the above, and the misery I went
through, and I get over it.  You will forgive me, but sometimes I think :

A little gluten misery is as good as a pound of cure.

Lynda Swink
P.S.  My little quip above is NOT a recommendation - only an observation.
                           ..
\|/ [log in to unmask]  \|/ \|/ So.CA \|/ _@V