From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:57:55 -0500

Hi Everyone,

You may recall I offered my notes of the 2006 International Celiac Disease
Symposium recently held in New York.  Well, I've been corrected on one of
the points I recorded and have been asked to submit a correction (by GIG).
Specifically, under Session #1 - "Role of Support Groups – Where Do We Go
From Here?" I said, "The USA has two “gluten-free” endorsements (GIG and
CSA); however, there is no on-site inspection, no equipment testing and
self-testing is expected to occur randomly."

However, apparently GFCO has created standards that are stricter than many
other world programs. The following is provided from www.gfco.com:

"Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO) provides an independent
service to supervise gluten-free food production according to a consistent,
defined, science-based standard, that is confirmed by field inspections, in
order to achieve heightened consumer confidence and safety."

"A GFCO Field Inspection Agent will conduct an initial visit tour of the
facility. This visit is to observe the operations and gather information to
determine the feasibility to certify products."

"Finally, to offer continued support for the program and your desire to
have your products meet a higher standard, the FIA or GFCO representative
will pay periodic visits to your facility."

Here was the original news release:
http://www.gfco.org/08-2005-PressRelease.htm

I appologize for any inconvenience or misunderstanding.  Please forgive me.

Warm Regards,
Janet Kline
Charlotte, NC