From:
EmmaJane Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 12:06:44 -0400

Dear Listmates,

Thanks so much to those of you who took the time to reply to my request
concerning the advisability of purchasing a small microwave for use
while traveling.  After a few encouraging emails, I purchased one of
those new "Half Pint" models that come in various colors.  I believe
their initial target market is the college dorm room crowd as they are
designed to appeal to that group.  This means they are very small,
compact and lightweight but big enough for a full sized dinner plate.
It was a real bargain at the final cost of $49 - far cheaper than any
other portable appliance I have ever found.

The advice ranged from "Yes, yes, yes!  Get one!" to "Microwaves kill
all vitamins and nutrients so better stay away."  I have never heard of
this and should maybe research it but I have my doubts that it is.
About half of the respondents tell me that they always choose hotels
that provide either a refrigerator or microwave or both.  Gosh, I do not
know where these people stay but I have yet to come across one that
provides either.  I usually only find coffee makers with the capability
of also making tea.   Also being able to choose one's place of
accommodations is not always possible.  For instance, our next trip is
one where the organizers book the rooms and hotel for you.  The
convention organizers are in charge and give us no choice of a hotel.
The next trip after that is in Kentucky for a wedding where the bride
and groom have chosen the hotel.

In the final analysis the overwhelming consensus was that the purchase
is and was a great idea.  One never needs to be worried about being
"stuck" without something good, nutritious and GF to eat.  This is a
relief and will make traveling so much less disturbing - a little more
complicated but nonetheless less of a concern.

Once again, thank you all so very much,
EmmaJane Adams