From:
"Mary W. Ferland" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary W. Ferland
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 20:19:58 -0500

Thanks to all who responded. Addresses are given if they were included with
the information. Restaurants located outside D.C. are in a separate category
at the end of the posting.

Nora (pricey) - 2132 Florida Ave. NW
This restaurant calls its food "organic American cuisine."  I read about it
in Living Without magazine.  It is not specifically gluten free but they can
accommodate our diet easily.  It is a wonderful place to eat.  On the
expensive side but WELL worth it!

Petits Plats (pricey) - 2653 Connecticut Ave. NW
I was just in DC for a meeting and had an excellent GF meal at a small
French restaurant called Petits Plats. I spoke with the chef and the hostess
in the afternoon and that night had a delicious meal of salad, fish entree,
and creme broulee. I did have concerns about their salad dressings though,
so I didn't have any. I highly recommend it. They were very accommodating.

Soho (buffet)
For quick food, go to Soho.  There are several around the area (the one I go
to most often is across the street from the FBI building - 9th and F street
NW. Soho is basically a buffet type place with a huge selection of food.
The salmon is usually pretty good and the salad bar has a lot of choices.
There's other safe dishes as well, like the roasted potatoes and the bean
salads.  They charge by the pound, so be careful how much you dish up!

Montmarte (pricey) - 7th St. off Pennsylvania Ave.
There's an excellent restaurant in SE DC near Capitol Hill.
I went there for
the first time a few weeks ago and it was absolutely incredible.  Not all
the stuff is gluten-
free but the steamed mussels are and so is the tuna dish they had.  Easily
the best food I have
eaten, but kind of expensive.  Dinner for 2 with a bottle of wine came to
$120.  It was well worth
it.  You may want to make reservations if you decide to go.  It's a tiny
place, but sooo good!

Red Sage 605 Fourteenth St. NW
I ate at the Red Sage in DC recently and the chef came out and took my
order. Everything was scrumptious and I did not have a problem. I did call
in advance and talk to the chef as well. They have a web page wich you can
find by doing a search with red sage. The Red Sage is actually 2
restaurants one that is more formal and more expensive and the other (where
we ate) that is less of both. I am sure however that you could get GF food
at either one. It just depends how much you want to spend.

Afterwards Cafe at Kramer Books - Connecticut Ave. and Q St.
They have yummy nachos that will more than fill you up.  The
chicken that comes with it and the bbq sauce used are gf - from my
experience.

Miscellaneous info:
If you are adventurous, try going to Adam's Morgan and see what they have
there.  The street to check
out is Connecticut Avenue next to the national zoo.  There is a strip of
restaurants there and I've
had good luck with safe eating.  The resturants in Adams Morgan (on Conn Ave
as well as 18th Street
and Columbia) are more of an international flavor.  I've had excellent Thai
food, Indian food, and Mexican food there. You may want to check it out.
The areas to check in Adams Morgan are on Conn Ave next to
the zoo, Columbia between 18th and Connecticut, and perhaps 18th south of
Columbia.

Austin Grill
A great cheap place is Austin Grill.  They even have a gluten free menu.  I
go there at least once per month.  You can get the menu and locations on
their website  www.austingrill.com.

Cafe Atlantico (pricey) - 405 8th St. NW
They don't specifically have a gf menu but they are knowledgeable
about their ingredients.

Jandara - 2606 Connecticut Ave. NW
Thai restaurant.
I never have problems ordering right off the menu in a Thai place.

Well Dressed Burrito - 19th St. between M & N Streets
If you are here on the weekdays - this is a great lunch place south of
Dupont Circle.
They have corn tortillas and all their ingredients are gf.

Cafe Dalat -
Cafe Dalat across the street from Clarendon Metro. The spring rolls are
wrapped in rice paper,  the crepe is made with rice flour,  the soups have
rice noodles, and nothing has soy sauce.

OUTSIDE D.C.

Sante Fe East - Old Town Alexandria
If you call ahead will make you a lovely meal and even sorbet or
gluten free cheesecake for desert.

Tara Thai - Falls Church

Victor's Grill - Washington St., Falls Church
They rave about the grilled meats.  The Argentine
owner, Victor Serrano seems flexible.  He will change the lunch menu even
as he goes to the grill in the mornings.  It is a small place, not for large
groups.   Sounds nice for a small group outing. They have a specialty for
4 people for $30.95, called  'parrillada', which is mixed grilled beef,
chicken and pork with salad, fries, white rice.  The chimichurri sauce
uses oil, vinegar, garlic, parsley, pepper, mustard, oregano.  The rice is
seasoned with salt, garlic and onions.   Sounds reasonable and safe.
Vinegar may be balsamic.  Ask if the mustard is pure. Other items
mentioned appear gf.  No liquor served.

Sam and Harry's in Tysons -
order the shrimp cooked with butter and garlic
and substitute mashed potato for the usual  fettucini.

Clydes - Chevy Chase, Georgetown and Gaithersburg.
They made a piece of chicken, fries (in a dedicated fryer) and brocoli.
You could eat every night at Clydes of Georgetown.  They do have other
"Clydes" in the area, but I went to the one in Georgetown and had a FABULOUS
meal.  They were very aware of allergies, the young waiter double checked my
meal selection.  I had a steak, roasted potatoes (because he double checked
on the spices for the regular potatoes and said they couldn't guarantee that
the spices were safe), and I had sauteed mushrooms.  For dessert, yes,
dessert,I had the BEST creme brulee i've ever had in my life.  I actually
could have moved to Washington D.C. just for that restaurant.  The prices
were reasonable too.  My dinner was about 20.00.

Wu's Dynasty - Bethesda
Another favorite.  Just remember to bring your own soy sauce and no msg.
They'll do a brown sauce for you with wheat free soy sauce.

That's Amore -
has one gluten free chicken dish on their menu and they are
Italian.

Aladdin's Eatery - Old Town Burke a bit south between Beltway and Fairfax.
Small, but accommodating with a number of items on menu.
Mostly fresh ingredients and spices.  One caution though, ask for "plain
rice" for rice with herbs has semolina.

Grape Seed - Bethesda on Cordell Ave.
Talk to chef for assistance.

Chez Andre - Alexandria