From:
Geri Werthner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 14:31:10 PDT

> I too would like some information about Chun King. A few weeks ago someone
> posted a message suggesting that Chun King was one of the Soy sauces
> that they had found to be GF. ....I have searched for weeks thru every
> Soy Sauce on the shelves in several stores and cannot find one that
> does not contain either wheat or caramel color.........Would appreciate
> any help in finding a GF soy sauce's Brand Name other than Chun King
> since that one seems to have NON GF ingredients included. At least in
> the stores around south eastern Massachusetts anyway.
> Thanks,

hi jan.  the soy sauce i use is called San J Tamari Soy Sauce.
Ingredients: water, soybeans, sea salt, alcohol.  Bottle has _BLACK_
label, and I have seen some bottles in some stores that specify "wheat
free tamari".  They also make a Teriaki sauce that I _think_ is GF.  I
read the ingredients today out of curiosity, and i don't think i saw any
nasties.

the label also says:

        All naturally brewed soy sauce produces alcohol during fermentation.
        We add only enough alcohol (fermented from corn) to bring this sauce
        to a level of 2%, which inhibits the growth of yeast and mold.

Anyhow, the address on the San J Tamari bottle is:
        San J International
        Richmond, VA  23231
        (no phone #, sorry)

i have been using this since september with no ill effect.  is pretty
salty tho, so don't pour it on in gobs the first time or you may find you
have overdosed your meal :P

hope this helps.
geri werthner
vancouver, bc, canada