From:
Mary Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:47:17 -0700

Here are the responses regarding my question whether or not anyone had used LDN or knew anyone who had used it to treat celiac disease.

1. I have celiac, ulcerative colitis, polymyasytis. I have gone into remission on LDN ( colitis). Celiac is same as ever. LDN helps my muscle pain.

2. I am severely atopic as well as celiac and have used low-dose naltrexone in the past to try to break my itch-scratch-scratch cycle for my atopy. The idea was that I was getting an endorphin release from the scratching, though it was so destructive, and the naltrexone would block that. I took it at night because I scratched without control in my sleep so we wanted peak blood levels at night. I don't know that it helped dramatically, but I did notice 2 things: first of all it flattened out my positive emotions (makes sense when you consider that it blocks one of the body's own happiness/reward systems). Nothing was much fun at all, and even chocolate, which usually gives me a happy lift, had no effect (no more 'mmmmm' factor)
Second, it made no difference at all to my celiac symptoms. I had DH at the time as well as the normal GI issues if I got glutened, but the naltrexone didn't change either one.
That's one person's experience, and I had another immune disease raging out of control at the same time, but you may want to consider the info  before deciding.

3. It is a NSAID and as such can cause stomach upset in some people.  Usually on a low dose it is not a problem but can develop if on it constantly.  That is true for anyone.

4. I know that some people with crohn’s who don’t respond to some of the meds indicated for crohn’s have turned to LDN.  Also, people who have MS have had relief from their MS symptoms while taking LDN.  Personally,  I would not want anyone in my family, celiac or gluten intolerant, to take this med.  My opinion is not based in science it has more to do with the fact that it is used for conditions that need to be treated with fairly strong meds.  Treating celiac or gluten intolerance with gluten free living is good enough for us.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond.
Mary in NH