From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2014 18:02:28 -0500

An interesting article from The Healthy Home Economist newsletter will
follow (too long for one message).  Of course, gluten is toxic to celiacs
because of the protein structure, but if the article is correct, we should
be glad that we are not consuming it....I checked it out and it is true.
Here's a sample article about it.  GMO products are banned in Europe but
apparently not the use of glyphosphate (Roundup):
http://www.glyphosate.eu/system/files/sidebox-files/clarification_of_pre-har
vest_uses_of_glyphsate_en_0.pdf   The article says that glyphosphate should
not be taken up into the kernel when it is mature.  But one reason that it
is used is to speed maturation implying that some of the crop is not yet
mature and possibly or probably taking it up into the grain.

Now I'm wondering, glyphosphate used for rice as well?  A quick search
didn't answer that question.  I only found that glyphosphate drift reduces
rice crop yields and that it is also not taken up into mature rice.  If
anyone finds out anything more about rice, let me (us) know.