From:
Judith Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:00:40 -0500

Has anyone on the list with hypothyroidism used Eltroxin?

I have been taking Synthroid 50 micrograms, then 75 micrograms,+ for about
two years. Recently, when I had a blood test because I was feeling so
lousy, my doctor increased my dose to 100 micrograms.

But, instead of prescribing Synthroid, she specified Eltroxin.

According to the pharmacology book at the drug store, Eltroxin is gluten
free and is the same composition as Synthroid. So...... after 2 weeks on
this drug, how come I don't feel any better on the higher dose? In fact, I
feel worse than I did on the 75 micrograms!

Here are my current hypotheses:

(1) The drug is really different than Synthroid and I'm reacting badly to
something in it.
(2) Eltroxin isn't really gluten free.
(3) The pharmacist gave me the wrong dose level, e.g., 50 instead of 100.
(4) The pharmacist gave me the wrong drug altogether. (The pills are small
yellow, with a score line across the middle on one side and "100" stamped
on the upper half of that side. There are no other marks. Is that what
Eltroxin should look like?)

All suggestions and additional hypotheses will be gratefully accepted. Many
thanks to all who respond!

Best Regards,

Judith

Ontario, Canada