From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:09:49 -0700

I found an interesting GF whole grain cereal at my local health food store.
It was a gronola made with rice flakes, rice bran, dried fruit, flax seeds,
nuts, etc.  It was okay tasting; nothing to brag about.  (Sorry I don't
remember the brand name, but it doesn't really matter at this point.)

The only ingredient in this cereal that I have never consumed before is gum
Arabic (acacia).  It made me so constipated it nearly took dynamite to blast
out the impaction it caused.  Ouch!  Took five days & quite a few hefty
doses of senna laxative to get over it.  So if any of you fellow
celiacs/gluten intolerants are prone to constipation, watch out for gum
Arabic or acacia.

I've read some articles in the past describing several medicinal uses for
acacia including treatment for chronic diarrhea, but does warn about the
possibility that it may cause constipation.

Valerie in Tacoma