From:
Joanne D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:48:26 -0400

Does anyone know if someone allergic to wheat would have problems with
yeast or yeast extracts?  It appears those who are allergic to wheat seem
to be able to eat bread made from spelt without any difficulty.  (Warning,
I am NOT referring to celiacs here, just wheat allergy).  If so, they they
must not have problems with yeast, or they wouldn't buy spelt bread, or
other breads that contain yeast.  Am I correct in making this assumption?

Of course, those of us that are celiacs know that yeasts grown on forbidden
grains still may affect us.  Does anyone have any credible evidence that
the same applies to people with wheat allergies?

Joanne