From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:56:41 -0400

This question occurred to me this morning as my husband and I discussed our 14yo son's preference to scramble up rocky slopes in our mountains. Aside our concern for his getting hurt (altho' my husband says boys will be boys), we are VERY worried about him or one of his friends getting bitten by a rattlesnake. One of the rules of hiking in the desert Southwest is never, ever put your feet or hands where you cannot see. Many a hiker has stepped over a log or rock only to find a rattler lying in the shade on the other side. So my question is this: Is there anything known about how people with Celiac Disease respond to rattlesnake or any poisonous bites? A rattlesnake bite is dangerous regardless of who you are, but I wonder if, since CD is an autoimmune disease, people with CD have a harder time, need medical assistance immediately (good in all cases but....), etc. I don't want to sound like an overly concerned mother and I do want my son to get off the computer and do something physically active, but I worry.

Joy in AZ

*******
*******