From:
scott adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 10:06:33 -0700

Hi everyone,

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:19:23 -0500, ABIGAIL NEUMAN
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have received requests for my source on Tagament, Pecid , and Gas-X
>(simethicone) contain gluten.  I found it at the following website listed
>under the heading "Medicines."  I did not verified the information since it
>was part of our celiac website.
>http://www.celiac.com/products.html

My site is not a part of the Celiac Listerv, although I have received kind
permission from the owners of the list to publish their FAQ. I think it's
best to post what my site actually says about these medicines, which also
includes the source of the information:

A paper was published in July 1994 from the Duke University.  (Miletic et al.
Identification of gliadin presence in pharmaceutical products.  Journal of
Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition 1994; 19:27-33).  The authors
analyzed 59 prescription and non-prescription medications and summarized
their results in a table.  Their list included cold medications, pain-killer
medications and medications used for gastrointestinal problems.  etc.  It is
important to know that Lactase enzyme supplement (Dairy Ease) had gluten in
both their tablet and drop form.  Furthermore, Gas-X (simethicone), Pepcid
(Famotidine), Tagamet (Cimetidine) also contained gliadin.

The source of this information is fairly old so please let me know if
anyone finds newer information to the contrary.

Take care,