From:
Lisa Ercolano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 20:46:37 -0400

Thanks for all the great responses.

New news is that the second round of blood work came up with a gliadin
antibody level of 165 (up from 104 two weeks previously), but normal IgA and
endomysial antibodies. The bad news is that Olivia's hematocrit fell within
less than two weeks from the low normal range to the low range, which they
tell me means she is bleeding internally somewhere. (Enough for concern, not
enough to panic, they said.)

A biopsy to rule out celiac and to diagnose (they suspect) either ulcerative
colitis or Crohn's Disease is set.

Though I know that that all signs point to IBD or Crohn's, I feel in my own
gut (if you will excuse the pun) that she has some problem with gluten. She
absolutely craves carbs, and loves cereals, breads, pastas, etc. They make
up so much of her diet that I have problems imagining they are not part of
the cause.

We spent last night in the ER, because on top of all this she came down with
a sore throat on Weds. and was vomiting and feverish with a terrible throat
by Sat. morning. She was seen by our primary guy that morning, and sent home
with amoxicillin. Seven hours later we could not get any down, and she had
so much diarrhea that I could tell she was dehydrated. They ran two bags of
fluid and some blood work (her BANN (?) level was high, so they did a chest
x-ray, but white count was normal) and the x ray was fine. They sent her
home after calming the vomiting and diarrhea with IV stuff, and she has been
weak but fine.

Biopsy set for 3/29 at the offices of Dr. Alession Fasano (he is our doc, so
we are in good hands).

Breath hydrogen has been cancelled, and they tell me it is NOT a true wheat
allergy because her IgE is normal.

Lisa in Baltimore