From:
"susan.hopkins" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
susan.hopkins
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:37:54 -0000

A big thank you to everyone who responded to my cry for help. I was absolutely overwhelmed by all the encouragement and advice from so many of you.

Firstly, many people suggested I take multi-vitamins as well as B and E.

Others pointed out that I may be anaemic (which I am) but that it could also be a thyroid problem - hypothyroidism which is easy to research on the internet.

I may also have other allergies of which I am not aware, or I could possibly have a systemic yeast infection - Herxheimer's reaction which should improve in a few days or a couple of weeks. I quote: Diets high in sugar and refined carbohydrates serve as food for the yeast.  When we change out diet there may be a widespread die off of the yeast.  When this happens they release up to 70 different toxins into your system and you feel awful.

Withdrawal symptoms seemed to be a favourite too.

A few of you suggested that I wasn't getting enough calories or vitamins now that gluten was no longer included in my diet.

My age too seems to be an important factor since it takes longer to adjust the older you are - I'm 52.

Someone suggested I should eat a little every 2 hours to keep my energy levels up. A little and often seemed to be the message there.

Hidden gluten may be part of the problem too, and some of you suggested I leave manufactured products well alone and stick with a 'naked diet' i.e. fresh fruit and veg, fish, meat, poultry etc. while I'm still learning to exclude all the gluten from my body.

Many of you mentioned the Coeliac Society of the UK which I had already joined but it's not a list like this one where you can talk to individual people about your problems.

Thank you all once again for your kind thoughts and experiences. It's so nice to know that so many people are there to help.

Best wishes to you all
Susan