From:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:27:43 -0500

Dear listmates, Several comments I obtained was that liquid smoke was not
GF.  I doubled checked myself and realized 2 things:

1.  Kalua pork for commercial purposes is generally made with pork and salt
as the only ingredients;  For example, the popular Ono Ono brand made by
Hawaii Food Products, Inc. is GF and sold in both grocery stores and
restaurants.

2.  Kalua pork made in the home can include liquid smoke in the recipe but I
found out my brand called Wright's does not contain any gluten, just water
and natural hickory smoke concentrate.  Wright's is made by Nabisco Foods
and the company confirmed their product was GF.

P.S. I also wanted to comment that while I was recovering from my 3rd gluten
trial directed by my Gastroenterologist in Oahu, I found that fresh Hawaiian
papaya calmed my Gastritis (stomach inflammation) when I ate it with meals
and reduced my heart burn and/or upper abdominal distention and pain when I
ate it after a meal.  Regards, Laura