From:
Becky ILOG <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky ILOG <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:40:12 -0400

Thought I'd share a few places we ate in London, Windsor, and Galway:

Near Earl's Court tube stop (where we stayed at the excellent K+K Hotel
George):
...Nando's - a world-wide chain that sells grilled chicken that is gf with a
spicy sauce of fvarying degrees of hotness (they also sell non-gf wraps and
things).  Note that even the mild sauce is pretty peppery but you can get
plain if needed.  It's half a block west of hte tube stop
...Kebab Shop - I just asked the cook who was serving what did not have
flour.  I knew that most Indian food (which is what they sell, not Lebanese)
is not made with flour.  There was a chick with vegetables dish and a dish
that looked like Chicken Tikka Masala - which is what I got.
...Masala Zolne - Indian food - I ate here on an earlier visit but not this
time.
...K+K Hotel George breakfast buffet was included with our room.  Usual
eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, juice - all quite good.

Near the British Museum tube stop (Tottenham Ct on Northern Line)- Cafe
Rouge -one of us  had the sausages and mashed potatoes and the other had
roast chicken with mashed potatoes.

Across the street from the Lambeth North tube stop (Bakerloo line) is the
excellent Cotto Italian restaurant with an entire menu ful of GF food!  Even
gf bread with butter.  I had Spaghetti Bolognese and my daughter had gf
Pizza.  Terrific!

Windsor - just a 25 min train ride from London and worth the trip to see the
castle and nice shopping.  We ate lunch at Cafe Rouge (same as in London).
We checked several menus around town and noticed several had either GF items
marked or the reverse - G for items containing gluten.

In the nice pedestrian shopping area is a grocery called Waitrose. They had
a nice "Free from" section with muffins and cookies.

Galway, Ireland:
We stayed at the Ardawn B&B - a wonderful place with great hosts (Mike and
Breda).  Breakfast was a traditional Irish one (sausage, bacon, eggs (I
skipped the pudding and mushrooms)).

Galway has a terrific shopping district that is fun to walk around.  There
is a small mall with a Dunne's dept store there.  About half a block from
there is a place called the Grainstore Deli & Cafe.  We had a delicious
lunch there.  When we asked fi the salad with chicken was safe for celiacs
(all the servers we had in Galway or Dingle seemed to know celiac), the
server told us we could have the roast beef with horseradish sauce sandwich
on GF bread - and it was delicious.  Downstairs, we bought GF scones and
cupcakes.

Becky