Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:40:47 EST

I am in Ohio, fairly near an Amish community.  There is a bakery there
called Berlin Natural Bakery. An article was published about their use of spelt,
stating it was good for people with wheat allergies or gluten  problems.
Anyway, they had a run-in with the FDA when the labeling  laws went into effect as
they labeled their breads wheat free .  The  FDA told them they needed wheat
on the label, which they did, but in turn put a  little newsletter in with
each product stating it was the same wheat free bread  they sold before.

Now...when I looked up spelt, the definition was German wheat.    And I know
we do NOT eat spelt.  I felt this was pretty much cut and  dried.

But this article was given to me and I want to deal with it before our next
support meeting.   They are maintaining that pure European grown spelt  is
safe and that U.S. grown spelt is crossbred with a wheat  blend.    I have never
heard of such a thing, but then I don't  claim to know everything either.

I want to be able to clarify this to the person who gave it to me, not to
mention my whole support group.  We have been over the issue of spelt many
times and I tell them not to use it.   Nor do I recommend them using  this product
either.

I just want to know if these people are pulling the wool over everyone's
eyes or if there is some fact to this article.   There was no  link to where it
came from so I can't offer you that.

Perhaps someone who lives in the European countries might have the answer  to
this.

Thanks to all,
Bev
Mansfield, OH