From:
Jutta Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:05:18 -0700

Here's a summary of all the wonderful posts I received - my thanks to
everyone!

-------------------------

I bake gf muffins all of the time.  The basic recipe I use is this:
Mix with a wire wisk:
1 + 1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour (Bob's red mill)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
dash salt
dash cinnamon or any spice that you like (nutmeg goes well with banana)

In mixer:
1/4 cup oil (I like canola or safflower)
1 egg or 2 whites
1/3 to 1 cup sugar
1 to 1+1/2 cup liquid (I use yogurt and water)
vanilla extract or other flavoring

Add dry ingredients.
Add extras, like 1- 2 cups blueberries (I rinse and drain frozen
blueberries)
If you use banana, put it in mixer first and mash it, then add wet
ingredients

You get large muffins by buying a large muffin baking pan.
I make regular muffins and fill the pan 1/2 full, then add a teaspoon
of jam, like blueberry when making blueberry muffins) then adding the
rest of the batter.  I would think that if you were making banana, a
teaspoon of apricot jam might be nice, or any that you like.

Bake at 400 degrees (preheated) for 20 to 25 minutes.  Let cool in
pan for 10 minutes, then remove.

Be creative.  I currently use leftover yams or sweetpotato in my
muffins, along with a splash of coconut and orange marmelade.  Yum.
Good luck and happy baking.
-------------------

OLD FASHIONED BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

2 c gf flour mix (below)
1 c Splenda or sugar
> tsp salt = c skim milk
2 tsp baking powder < c honey
= c light margarine 2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla 1 c blueberries

Preheat oven to 350. Sift dry ingredients. Cream margarine
Splenda or sugar & honey with mixer until light & fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in
vanilla. Alternately stir in flour mixture and milk, beginning
and ending with flour. Fold in blueberries. Spoon batter
into muffin cups (use either papers or spray with Pam)
Bake until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
This would be about 25 min, cool in pan about 10 min.
Remove muffins and cool completely (or eat and enjoy!)

DRY FLOUR MIX
2 c brown rice flour 2 c white rice flour
1 1/2 c sweet rice flour 1 1/3 c tapioca starch or flour
2/3 c corn starch 1/2 c rice bran or rice polish
2 tsp xanthan gum

Sift together 3 or 4 times and store in canister. Use 1 c
of this mixture when recipe calls for 1 c wheat flour.
Works very well in cookies, bars, cakes - even rolled out
sugar cookies.

These are very good, and I have made them in the large muffin pans. If
you think they are a little too crumbly, next time add another 1/2 tsp
xanthan gum.

----------------

I use the banana bread recipe to make muffins from the back of the
package of Bob's Red mill gluten free flour mix. I follow the recipe for
bread, add nuts and make it into muffins. They are really good, although
I'm not sure how giant you are talking.
------------
I'm not going to pass on a recipe, just a hint, although I DID make some
good muffins from a Bette Hagman recipe.  I'm at work, the cookbooks are
at home, so I can't tell you which one, seems to me it was either in her
GFG cooks fast and easy or the GFG bread book.  I used her recipe and
added peaches, walnuts, and cinnamon, they came out great!

My tip for you is this:  I have had a hard time getting GF muffins or
bread not to be gluey in the middle, especially when I add moist things
like fruit to them.  I bought a "mini-bundt cake" muffin pan for muffins
and cupcakes.  It's just like a bundt pan, but the diameter of each
little cake is about the size of a giant-sized muffin.  But the hole in
the middle of each makes them cook more evenly, so it overall bakes up
better.  (Also fun to eat!)

If you can't find one of these, you might also try one of those
"muffin-top" pans.  They're for muffins that have a shallow bottom, with
more surface area exposed when baking.  I don't know if this would work
well if your dough is kind of runny, though.

By the way, dried fruit is really good in
muffins, especially the GF ones - because the doughs are usually wetter,
and for the same reason - they don't dry in the middle like regular
wheat flour muffins.  But the dried fruit absorbs a bit of the extra
moisture, even after they're baked and out of the oven, so that helps.
The flavor is stronger, too.  I get dried apricots and nectarines pretty
cheaply at Trader Joe's.

If you want to do blueberry (seems to me that was one in your original
email), I'd suggest you try what I do when I make blueberry pancakes -
use frozen berries, and keep them frozen until the very last minute
(with pancakes, I actually drop the batter on the griddle and then plop
the frozen blueberries around on top).  So once your batter is ready,
right before you put them in the oven, I'd drop a few berries around
each muffin cup or bundt, and then fill with batter.  Or stir frozen
blueberries into only part of the batter.  The reason I say this is that
if you defrost the berries first before stirring them in, all the dough
takes on kind of a sick blue-green-brown color.  If you keep them
frozen, and add at the last minute, you should get more of that pale
yellow dough with distinct blueberries look - a bit more appetizing.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!