From:
Leslie Elsner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 23:43:18 -0400

Hi everyone!
Saw an interesting article this week in the Wall Street journal about the new
fake fat "Olestra" now being test marketed by it's maker Proctor & Gamble.
the Center for Science in the public interest ("a self appointed watchdog of
the nation's eating habits") offers the following criticism of Olestra -a
sugar & vegetable oil-based molecule.(which is said to mimic the taste of
oils in regular chips). They say "because the molecule is too big for the
human digestive system to handle, it passes through the body without adding
fat. In January, the FDA approved it for the use in salty snacks as long as
the snack's packaging carries info labeling about potential gastrointestinal
effects, including abdominal cramping. As an indication of the possible
effects this product may have, they write "When P & G opened a bland page
about Olestra on the Internet's World Wide Web in March, the center followed
quickly, billing it's site as "the truth about Olestra" and including David
Letterman's top 10 slogans for the fat substitute.(No. 3 - "we can't tell you
exactly how we make it but we can say this: 10 monkeys go into a room, and
only nine come out."
Need I say more.......
Have a nice weekend.
Leslie  NYC