From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:36:08 -0700

This part is my own experience:

We ate at the restaurant at the top of the tram.  Don't know the name, but it's a buffet style restaurant.  We were lucky enough to catch the manager, who helped us with ingredients.  I had brought a sacked lunch, just in case.  (Can't remember what we ate there) Sorry

We had intended to eat at the Cedar Creek Inn, but ran out of time.  However, I had talked to the manager, Jeff, and he was most helpful.  He said they even had a chocolate ganache gluten-free dessert.  I was told just to ask for him when we arrived.  I regret not being able to go there.  I've eaten there before and loved it.  What I'd recommend is make sure you call ahead and just talk to the manager at this place.

We ate at Otani, which is a Japanese restaurant.  My son likes sushi, so that kept it easy and we brought out own soy sauce.

For me, PF Changs was the hi-lite.  I had heard a lot about their gluten-free menu, but hadn't witnessed it first hand.  They have a lemon chicken that they dust with Potato starch and it was delicious.  The waiter went and printed out the gf menu on their computer.  It was the same one I had brought with me.  Just a note:  I have since eaten at the one in San Diego (University City), and they have a very professional laminated gf menu.  (Funny what presentation can do for me)

We ate at Tony Romas.  Unfortunately, my son wasn't in the mood for ribs, so he had steak.

We ate at Outback, where we tried the Thunder from Down Under for the first time.  I checked on it before eating and even checked to make sure they don't dust the pan with flour.  DELICIOUS!

We ate at Islands, where my son always has the Moeki Chicken.  I have checked on the ingredients some time ago, so if you want to try, you may want to check again.  It comes with flour tortillas on the side, so we ask for corn instead.

We ate at Las Casuelas.  I wish I could remember what we had, but I can tell you to just talk to a manager.  They had about 3 managers that day and they were very helpful.  We did have the flan, which was awesome.

Lastly, we ate at an IHOP.  Course, this was before I heard about the "pancake batter in the omelets mix".  I've yet to check that out, but will definitely do so before eating there again.

They have a Del Rios Taqueria Grill (Mexican) that was recommended.  I had intended on eating there and called ahead of time.  I was told the tamales, cheese enchiladas, sauce & beans were o.k., but not the rice or chips.  I think the flan was o.k. too.  The manager was very helpful.

(I always bring my own chips to Mexican restaurants, just in case anyway.)

They also have a Ruth Chris Steak House and a Le Peep, which both have gluten-free items.  (see the archives)

I hope this helps anyone wanting to travel there.  I did go to their one healthfood store.  It reminded me of a GNC Vitamin store that happened to have some gluten-free food.  Whole Foods should really consider opening up a store out there.  I think they'd get lots of business.

Sidona