Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 12:42:51 -0400

Sorry for the delay. here are the responses to my question: "should we
worry about gluten contaminated
glasses in bars"? since most bartenders don't use heavy dishwashing
methods, this struck me as a
possible problem when ordering GF drinks or water in bars.

Steve

There is one particular bar that I react to everytime I go, even if I
drink only wine.  I started believing there was something in the
cleaning solution used for the glassware.  I never thought of cross
contamination from the other glasses getting washed, so I will be very
interested in the responses you get.

I think from now on I'll request a plastic cup and see if I
react....................

They way they wash (more like rinse) things in bars I would be more
concerned with germs than residual gluten. I'd ask for a can of soda or a
bottle of water. Cheers!

Wouldn't all the glasses have been washed in a dishwasher?  I feel safe with
that. Even if they are hand washed, they should be clean. Relax and enjoy
yourself.

I'd say NONE.  The glasses have to be washed, at least poorly.  Beer
isn't a thick substance that would coat the inside of the glass that
much that a decent rinse wouldn't remove. And if you are eating/drinking
in a place that does that poor of a job, gluten residue will be the
least of your problems!

I don't know, but I got sick from a ginger ale I
drank at a bar that was served in a beer glass.  I was concerned when I
realized that the barkeep got beer all over his hands every time he pulled a
draft.  I was concerned when I realized that all the glasses were dunked in
the same soapy sink before being used again, almost immediately.  I thought
I was being over cautious and drank the ginger ale -- and got sick.

you should not be at a bar without a dishwasher

The molecules of gluten in beer would not stick to the glasses like
noodles.  Most glasses are washed at the bar w/ a glass washer, so
stuff doesn't get a chance to dry one. Everything is rinsed w/ clear
water. Not a problem. If the glass is obviously dirty, send it back...celiac or not.

Not something I worry about, in part because the gluten content in beer is so
low.

There
is one particular bar that I react to everytime I go, even if I drink
only wine.  I started believing there was something in the cleaning
solution used for the glassware.  I never thought of cross
contamination from the other glasses getting washed, so I will be very
interested in the responses you get.

So there you have it.....uh....i guess.

Steve